Monday, August 27, 2012

New School

Like many families today was my kiddos first day back to school, and they started a new school this year.  I can't believe DD1 is going into 4th grade and DS is going into 1st. It really does feel like it was just yesterday with DD1 when she started Kinder, and for DS it really doesn't feel like it it's been that long ago when he was toddling around.  They just looked to grown today it made me all happy and sad and it took everything for me not to cry when I left this morning.  Sure I was happy to get some one-on-one time with my two little ones but it was crazy quiet.

A lot of my feeling out of sorts is because they had to start all over, new school, new teachers, new friends.  Plus I also had to let go of DS; he stayed home with me and when I did work he stayed with a sitter for a few months and then was with me again at the school I was working at.  But today I had to let go, really let go and trust that he would have a great first day and wouldn't need me to "pop-in" in the middle of the day.  I  also couldn't just walk down the hall and peak in just to see what he was doing; I loved watching my kids learn (that hit me the hardest in May).  It was amazing to just look in and see the little light bulb going off, watching them interact...look at me getting nostalgic.  Then there is DD1, after last school year of us having to deal with "mean girls" I was so nervous wondering and hoping she would make friends.  She is so outgoing and yet it only takes ONE little brat to ruin it all, especially in a private school setting.  Now I know I sound petty and I'm not knocking private school but small classes means not a lot of people to choose from.  And this little girl really had it out for my baby.  

Sooo instead of me fully enjoying my two little ones I spent it wondering how there day was going, were they having fun, did they like their teachers; it was crazy but normal.  And as the day was coming to an end I get a phone call from the school.  *Panic mode begins*  OMG the day is almost over what could have happened did someone get hurt, in trouble, what I mean WHAT could have happened.  It's DD1 teacher saying she is on the bus rider list but she's insisting she's a car rider--whew I can now breathe.  I explain that she's right and I had called Friday morning to change it but you know how things can be on the first day.  He said no problem and I asked if he could make sure my son's teacher knew and he said yes.  Great I'm happy that all is ok now I just to get the little ones ready to go sit in a loooong carpool line.

Now I'm in carpool and as I get closer I can see DS waiting with a teacher with a look of worry, he knows he's been called but he doesn't see me and I think the other part was that he was out there without DD1, I can see the teacher trying to assure him that I'll be pulling up soon.  Then the teacher spots me points to where I'm at and then I see my baby with a big smile and man he just melted my heart!  The have to call DD1 because I'm sure she was to busy talking and didn't hear but hey at least she wasn't on the bus.

Then to my delight they get into the car with smiling faces beaming from one ear to the other telling me how great their day was and how they had made friends.  Ahhh this mamma can now rest easy and tomorrow I won't feel so frazzled.

No comments: