Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Past 2 Years

I know I already said this but I really can't believe that my little Monkey is 2; I mean it seems like it was only yesterday when I first brought him home.  The other day I was going through the kids closet and I still had his coming home outfit in the closet and it made me think back to how he used to look.  He was so little and skinny that David and I would joke that his legs looked like chicken wings, but he soon plumped out.  Sometimes I wish he was still that little but I think I enjoy this stage a lot more.  I love how he'll run up to me screaming mama and then give me a great big hug, or how he just wants to curl up with me on the couch.  And lately when he sits next to me he has to hold my hand or at least be touching me and everytime it just makes my heart melt.  Even right now he's sitting on my lap and for once actually letting me type without any problems.  I love how he looks when he runs and watching him explore the great outdoors.  What really cracks me up is when he'll grab some tools (real or fake) and then start banging away on stuff because now he's turned into our own little Handy Manny.

Now for some things I really miss.  When he was first born I used to call him my little tree frog because I could lay him on my chest and he fit just perfectly.  I didn't have to hold him in place he would just lay on my chest; but don't worry I did hold him.  I also miss him falling asleep in my arms and just looking down and watch him sleep so peacefully.  Sure I walk into the kids room and just look at them but it's not the same.  I really miss that sweet little baby boy who didn't have to get into EVERYTHING, and constantly find ways to drive me crazy.  Sure I love his exploring side but seriously does everything have to go in your mouth and do you have to climb on every piece of furniture in the house--I guess the answer is "yes mom I do because I'm a boy and that's what we do."

And now for the bittersweet kicker to you turning 2 is that you're now in a big bed.  I love how excited you get knowing you now have your own big bed like your sister to sleep in, but at the same time it makes me sad because I know you'll never be that little again to sleep in a crib.  My little baby boy is growing up and before I know it you'll be starting kindergarten and then from there it'll all become a blur.  But if there is one thing I've learned from Sweet Pea is to enjoy the moments I have with the two of you now so that I can hold on to them forever.

*Off subject but speaking of kindergarten Sweet Pea starts in August and as excited as I am I'm really going to miss having her home with me.  I know it's a part of life and I know how much she's going to love it but doesn't it just seem like it all goes by way to fast?

3 comments:

Catwoman said...

Ooooh! What a sweet post! Yes, they do grow up way too fast! And I'm sure it'll be hard for you to see Sweet Pea go off to kindergarten, but how exciting for her! It'll also give you a chance to have some one on one time with the Monkey, so that's good too! :)

Tracy said...

I love the run too. Peter has a way of running where his legs seem to be flying in all directions. It cracks me up.
It does go too fast. Caroline will be 8 this weekend and I just keep thinking back to that sweet little baby I brought home from the hospital. Back at a time when I thought that I had forever with my baby. Then I woke up one day and took her to kindergarten.
And as bad as it feels now, it will get easier when she starts school. You'll find that you get to know your son like you've never had the chance to before. I did with both Em and Peter. I promise, it gets easier!

MGM said...

Jesse,
I've missed you! I know the feelings you write of. My son just turned two. I still get to hold him until he sleeps at nap time and stare at his face, though. I'll do this as long as he lets me, but he's getting big and hard to put into his crib.

And as for my own husband going back to work, I hated it. He helps a lot with the kids, especially since Son prefers him over me (ouch).